Saturday, August 21, 2010

street art- knitt-bombing

Emily, and Kevin my friend and her boy friend, have been leaving little clay creatures around for the observant to find. They talk about it here: http://somnule.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/bomb-of-the-day-698/ ... today on their journey they passed some knitted street signs... you can see some examples here: http://streetcolor.wordpress.com/

Well all of this reminded me of an adventure I had a couple months back, that also took me past some unexpected knitted creations...
Can You guess what it is?
I just loved her blue nails with it. But I bet you still don't know what it is.
Well people who've seen it, maybe they know.
Ok, now ask yourself, where is there a giant 'T'
This made me burst out laughing. You have to have heard someone say what that is referencing, in all seriousness. Then, if you are me, you look at this and have a sound track, in yo mind (kids beat up and they don't even rhyme, they just stand there on the street corner, skin tucked in and inside out), sorry, a sound track playing for me what I've just read, "Knitta PLEASE."..."You be hella bootsey!"

Have any idea where this may be now?
This is the T in the sign saying "There." On the edge of Berkeley/Oakland, there are HERE and THERE signs. Oakland is there. I believe this came from the quote "There is no there there" in reference to oakland. Gertrude Stein said that. I know because I'm on the computer right now. I suppose I could look up if that is actually where these structures came from.

Ah, yes, the internet- you serve me well. That is where these structures came from. And the quote is not disparaging of Oakland, but actually references that Gertrude's childhood home was torn down. There is apparently another THERE statue downtown. I like that better. I'm not sure what message it gives, having Berkeley be the HERE and Oakland be the THERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment