Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Vegan banana bread

As always, I did not follow the recipe. The ingredients intended were as followed:

The king of quick breads, banana bread is always a welcome treat at breakfast or tea time. While most banana bread recipes contain dairy and eggs, this vegan variation uses neither but is still moist and delicious. Feel free to add walnuts, raisins or dark dairy-free chocolate chips to dress up your bread!

Makes 1 9"x5" loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cups white granulated sugar (I prefer unrefined cane sugar)
* 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 3/4 t. salt
* 3/4 t. cinnamon
* 1/2 cup plain soy milk or almond milk
* 1 t. apple cider vinegar
* 2 cups mashed banana, from about 4 large very ripe bananas
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 2 T. maple syrup
* 1 t. vanilla extract
* Walnuts (optional)

My Ingredients:

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/8 cups white granulated sugar
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 2/4 t. salt
* 1/8 t. allspice
* some amount plain soy milk (I don't remember if I paid attention)
* some mashed banana, from my mother's over ripe bananas (I never buy bananas for ethical reasons.)
* 1/4 cup light olive oil
* some dribbles of molasses (yay)
* 1 capful vanilla extract
* Handful of Walnuts
* Handful ground flax seed (to hold it together since I'm not using eggs)


My logic was that things are always too sweet, and molasses and bananas are already sweet.

---

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.

2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt spice, and flax.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the soy milk and olive oil. Add the mashed banana, molasses, and vanilla extract, whisking until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, adding slowly so it doesn't clump. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and forget the walnuts until last minute (alternately you could do that earlier). Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Allow the bread to cool on a wire cooling rack for 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
---

I'm making it vegan because my friend Christine is awesome and it would be fin to share it with her. It's still in the oven. If it turns out badly I will update this post.

Edit: I made it again. I added 1 teaspoon of baking powder to the dry mixture. then I forgot to mix in about a half cup of the dry mixture, give or take a bit. I could math at it to re figure the numbers. Any how it turned out perfect. The first time it was pretty gooey and dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment